It is the prayer of the people of UMC Summit that through our outreach work and partnerships, our church will:
- build connections of care and discovery,
- become educated about the needs around us and in the world,
- celebrate the impact we each make as God’s children,
- and take opportunities to be in relationship with our greater community
Community Outreach and Support
The people of the United Methodist Church of Summit are engaged with our surrounding community and its needs. This engagement shows up in various forms, including education, empowerment, and reciprocity.
- Family Promise, hosting families 4 weeks each year in support of the organization’s national efforts to end family homelessness
- GRACE Food Pantry, an initiative of Junior League of Summit focused on ending food insecurity for at-risk residents of the community
- SHIP (Summit Helping Its People), a group committed to providing meals and showers to the at-risk homeless population in and around Summit
- CUMAC, a United Methodist non-profit organization dedicated to alleviating hunger and its root causes in Passaic County and Northern NJ
- Bridges Outreach Inc., a non-profit based in Summit that strives to end homelessness in NJ/NY by providing ‘health, housing and independence’
- A Future With Hope, an non-profit ministry of the United Methodist Church in New Jersey focused on Superstorm Sandy rebuilding and relief
As part of these and other relationships with organizations around Summit, Union County, and Northern NJ, the people of UMC Summit participate in a number of activities to extend care into the community:
- Providing bag lunches in support of Bridges Outreach ministries
- Knitting/crocheting ministry group organized by UMC Summit
- CUMAC and Sandy Relief mission work days
- A community prayer garden, open for use to the community
- Special collections for UMC affiliated non-profits, such as UMCOR and A Future With Hope
Our Religious Affiliations
The United Methodist Church of Summit is part of the Gateway North District of the Greater New Jersey Area Conference (www.gnjumc.org) of the United Methodist Church (www.umc.org). This means that we work together with other local United Methodist Churches and UMC churches all over the state to reach out to the people of New Jersey with love and compassion and with the good news of Jesus Christ.
Through this connectional ministry we are able to combine our resources and respond to the needs of our individual communities with all the resources of the larger church body. As part of the United Methodist denomination, we are also connected in ministry all over the world as United Methodists literally span the globe working on behalf of humanity and to the glory of God.
- Interfaith Council of Summit, a group of leaders from the majority of the houses of worship in Summit that meets monthly to explore and examine the needs of the community and how we, as people of faith, can work together to meet those needs in meaningful ways
- UMCOR (United Methodist Committee on Relief), the non-profit mission organization of the global United Methodist Church focused on humanitarian relief and development