Outreach at the UMC of Summit exists so that
our congregation can engage the community and its needs.
This engagement shows up in various forms: including education, empowerment, and reciprocity.
Our engagement has been exhibited in our involvement in the ministries of:
• Interfaith Hospitality Network and Family Promise (hosting guests for 4 weeks each year)
• SHIP (Summit Helping Its People)
• CUMAC (a United Methodist non-profit organization dedicated to alleviating hunger and its root causes for those in need in Paterson, Passaic County and northern New Jersey.)
• Our Christmas for Others (fund-raising event for local, regional, national and global causes)
• Donations (monetary, health supplies, books, etc.) for Haiti
• Bridges Outreach Inc.
• Superstorm Sandy Relief (A Future With Hope and independent relief trips)
In the life of our church, there are numerous activities that extend care to the local and global community. They include:
• Sandwich/Lunches for the Bridges Ministry
• Knitting/Crocheting ministry
• Jefferson School Easter dinners
• United Methodist Committee On Relief (UMCOR) offerings
• Sandy Relief Mission Work Days
• CUMAC work days
• A community garden: for use by all in the community
It is our prayer that through our outreach work, our church:
• will have ongoing opportunities to be in relationship with the larger community,
• will build reciprocal connections of care and discovery,
• will become increasingly well-educated about the needs of the world, and
• will celebrate the powerful impact that we each make, as God’s children