Sign up for our Lenten Small Group by clicking here!
The UMC Summit community is proud to have a variety of ministry opportunities both inside and outside of the church building.
At the United Methodist Church of Summit, we praise God through song using our voices and various instruments. All are invited to participate, church member or not. No experience is required in order to join any of the groups – only a desire to celebrate God’s love through song. Our children’s groups focus on learning melody, rhythms, choral direction and being part of a group, in addition to having fun. Those of all ages who play instruments are welcome to add their gifts to the worship experience. From our littlest singers to our adult Chancel and handbell choirs, we enjoy praising God as we use our musical talents.
SINGING BELIEVERS (for children and youth)
Come join the Singing Believers Choir. God has already given you the tools you need, your voice and your spirit. Let us grow together in our faith through music. Rehearsals are for children and youth of all ages, each Saturday at 12:30 pm in the Music Room. Come, share your spirit.
It’s a joy to work together and ring joyful music to the Lord. No prior experience is needed, just a willing spirit. Rehearsals are on Sunday mornings after worship at 11:45am in the Sanctuary throughout the school year. Come and ring praises.
Our Contemporary Ensemble of singers, guitarists, drums, recorders, bass and piano are studying music from the new songbook “Worship and Song”. It includes praise music, recently written hymns, gospel songs and world music. Rehearsals are at 12:15pm in the Sanctuary throughout the school year. All are welcome to share their musical gifts.
We use the theme “Joyful Songs to God We Sing” to remind us of our call to live a joy-filled life. All teens and adults are welcome to join our Chancel Choir, which offers music leadership in the weekly Sunday service. The Chancel choir rehearses at 9:30am on Sundays (in the Chapel) before worship throughout the school year.
It is the prayer of the people of UMC Summit that through our outreach work and partnerships, our church will:
- build connections of care and discovery,
- become educated about the needs around us and in the world,
- celebrate the impact we each make as God’s children,
- and take opportunities to be in relationship with our greater community
Community Outreach and Support
The people of the United Methodist Church of Summit are engaged with our surrounding community and its needs. This engagement shows up in various forms, including education, empowerment, and reciprocity.
- Family Promise, hosting families 4 weeks each year in support of the organization’s national efforts to end family homelessness
- GRACE Food Pantry, an initiative of Junior League of Summit focused on ending food insecurity for at-risk residents of the community
- SHIP (Summit Helping Its People), a group committed to providing meals and showers to the at-risk homeless population in and around Summit
- CUMAC, a United Methodist non-profit organization dedicated to alleviating hunger and its root causes in Passaic County and Northern NJ
- Bridges Outreach Inc., a non-profit based in Summit that strives to end homelessness in NJ/NY by providing ‘health, housing and independence’
- A Future With Hope, an non-profit ministry of the United Methodist Church in New Jersey focused on Superstorm Sandy rebuilding and relief
As part of these and other relationships with organizations around Summit, Union County, and Northern NJ, the people of UMC Summit participate in a number of activities to extend care into the community:
- Providing bag lunches in support of Bridges Outreach ministries
- Knitting/crocheting ministry group organized by UMC Summit
- CUMAC and Sandy Relief mission work days
- A community prayer garden, open for use to the community
- Special collections for UMC affiliated non-profits, such as UMCOR and A Future With Hope
Our Religious Affiliations
The United Methodist Church of Summit is part of the Gateway North District of the Greater New Jersey Area Conference (www.gnjumc.org) of the United Methodist Church (www.umc.org). This means that we work together with other local United Methodist Churches and UMC churches all over the state to reach out to the people of New Jersey with love and compassion and with the good news of Jesus Christ.
Through this connectional ministry we are able to combine our resources and respond to the needs of our individual communities with all the resources of the larger church body. As part of the United Methodist denomination, we are also connected in ministry all over the world as United Methodists literally span the globe working on behalf of humanity and to the glory of God.
- Interfaith Council of Summit, a group of leaders from the majority of the houses of worship in Summit that meets monthly to explore and examine the needs of the community and how we, as people of faith, can work together to meet those needs in meaningful ways
- UMCOR (United Methodist Committee on Relief), the non-profit mission organization of the global United Methodist Church focused on humanitarian relief and development