The UMC Summit community is proud to have a variety of ministry opportunities both inside and outside of the church building.
“May the god who gives endurance and encouragement,
give you a spirit of unity as you follow Jesus Christ,
so that with one heart and voice
you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ” – Romans 15:5
At the United Methodist Church of Summit, we praise God through song using our voices and various instruments. All are invited to participate, church member or not. No experience is required in order to join any of the groups – only a desire to celebrate God’s love through song. Our children’s groups focus on learning melody, rhythms, choral direction and being part of a group, in addition to having fun. Those of all ages who play instruments are welcome to add their gifts to the worship experience. From our littlest singers to our adult Chancel and handbell choirs, we enjoy praising God as we use our musical talents.
Won’t you come and join us as we sing joyful and meaningful songs to the Lord? It’s a joy to work together and lift our voices in praise of our Maker. Our Calling all children 4 years old and up, to come and sing joyful songs of the church. Let us grow together in our faith, through music. Rehearsals are at 11:30am on Saturday mornings in the Sanctuary. Our first rehearsal will be on Saturday, September 25th. Let us share the light of Christ. All protocols will be followed in our large and beautiful Sanctuary.
Our Contemporary Ensemble of singers, guitarists, drums, recorders, bass and piano are studying music from the new songbook “Worship and Song”. It includes Our Contemporary Ensemble shares music for Holy Communion each month. The Ensemble uses music from the contemporary hymnals “The Faith We Sing” and “Worship and Song”. Rehearsals will be on Sundays and 12:15pm in the Sanctuary. Come and share your musical gifts and enrich your faith.
We use the theme “Joyful Songs to God We Sing” to remind us of our call to live a joy-filled life. All teens and adults are welcome to join our Chancel Choir, which Making a joyful sound is the mission of our Bell Choir. Come and try ringing hand bells and hand chimes with your church friends. Rehearsals are Sundays at 11:45am in the Sanctuary.
It is the prayer of the people of UMC Summit that through our outreach work and partnerships, our church will:
- build connections of care and discovery,
- become educated about the needs around us and in the world,
- celebrate the impact we each make as God’s children,
- and take opportunities to be in relationship with our greater community
Community Outreach and Support
The people of the United Methodist Church of Summit are engaged with our surrounding community and its needs. This engagement shows up in various forms, including education, empowerment, and reciprocity.
- Family Promise, hosting families 4 weeks each year in support of the organization’s national efforts to end family homelessness
- GRACE Food Pantry, an initiative of Junior League of Summit focused on ending food insecurity for at-risk residents of the community
- SHIP (Summit Helping Its People), a group committed to providing meals and showers to the at-risk homeless population in and around Summit
- CUMAC, a United Methodist non-profit organization dedicated to alleviating hunger and its root causes in Passaic County and Northern NJ
- Bridges Outreach Inc., a non-profit based in Summit that strives to end homelessness in NJ/NY by providing ‘health, housing and independence’
- A Future With Hope, an non-profit ministry of the United Methodist Church in New Jersey focused on Superstorm Sandy rebuilding and relief
As part of these and other relationships with organizations around Summit, Union County, and Northern NJ, the people of UMC Summit participate in a number of activities to extend care into the community:
- Providing bag lunches in support of Bridges Outreach ministries
- Knitting/crocheting ministry group organized by UMC Summit
- CUMAC and Sandy Relief mission work days
- A community prayer garden, open for use to the community
- Special collections for UMC affiliated non-profits, such as UMCOR and A Future With Hope
children, youth, and families
There is something for everyone here at UMC Summit! Every Sunday morning during worship there is a Children’s Message and we sing “Jesus Loves Me” together. September-June there is Nursery Care, Drama Club, and Sunday School. Our Youth Group meets once a month at the church and at scheduled outings and retreats throughout the year. Here is our usual Sunday morning schedule:
9:30AM-11:30AM: Nursery Care Available every Sunday in the Nursery Room
9:30AM-10:15AM: Christian Drama Club for ages K-12th grade (location TBD)
10:30AM-10:45AM: Worship in the Sanctuary
10:45AM – 11:30AM: Sunday School for ages K-5th grade (2nd floor education building)
6:30PM-8:30PM: YOUTH GROUP First Sunday of the Month in the Green Room (all youth ages middle-school and high-school)
*PLEASE NOTE: all children over the age of 2 years old are required to wear a mask when participating in our Children, Youth, and Families Programming until further notice. We will also practice social distancing and hold classes/meetings outdoors when possible.
*Children are always welcome to stay in worship, Sunday School is optional for those families who wish to attend.
If you have any questions, please email our Children, Youth, and Families Minister Natalie Palacio at: CYFMinister@umcsummit.org.